Friday, July 12, 2013

Eteseng from Ghana!

I have a moment to breathe and collect myself and, generally feel like an insomniac since my sleep schedule is so off, so why not update?

It's been a whirlwind past 2 weeks, beginning with my brother's wedding in Cleveland.  I can't believe that little bugger is married now.  He and Joyce have already returned from their lobster heaven honeymoon in Belize (apparently there was a lobster festival coinciding with their visit), haha.  So much jealousy.

Me: how was lobster heaven?
James: it was glorious
            we may have had too much lobster, actually
            if there ever is such a thing
Me: ... for your arteries, there is
            but other than that, no.
            losing the will to eat lobster does not exist

The lovebirds posing in front of some Mayan ruins. Michigan representing!
I'm looking forward to seeing the official pictures from their wonderfully fun wedding weekend, but their wedding was laden with picture takers (good backup, I say) and some of the pics that have come out are absolutely amazing.

Memorable events: catching up with old time college friends (Calvin!), James' godfather, and lots of Troy folks who I haven't seen in a long time, hanging out at their BBQ, seeing some of my beloved extended fam who flew in from Taiwan, working on everything from gift wrapping, flower arrangements, and lots of moving things in and out of their new apartment, hanging out, seeing the bf for the first time in 4 months. 

Taken by their wedding photographer, Amanda Vanvels

Taken by my favoritest squirrel. Thanks for being a photog slave. :)
This weekend was also a big deal because the bf met my family (and extended AND several of our family friends!) for the first time.  Despite being a Chinese invader, I think they liked him.  

Right now, and for the past 10 days, I've been in Ghana for work.  I've enjoyed the trip overall, though it's been a bit lonely, I haven't been able to do any running (gahhhh), or enough work on the dissertation proposal.  Oh, and I haven't been doing any exploring.  This weekend, hopefully I'll change that on all counts! 

There's a lot of stuff going on right now in my mind, especially pertaining to school.  Someday, I'll be done with this and the rain cloud that's perpetually hanging over my head will disappear.  Till then, there are numerous things to sort out and meetings to be had.  I'm both dreading and looking forward to my return to NC. 

Happier things: pictures of food I've eaten while here. Mmm...

Ghanaian specialty - Spicy tilapia with banku
Beef and chicken nyamachoma gushi (stew?) with skewers and yams
One of my favorite parts of being on this continent - roadside fruit! Sliced pineapple and mango. 3 USD=infinite heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment