Saturday, September 21, 2013

The last 2 weeks!

Ebbs and flows in life, that's what these past 2 weeks have been about!

2 weeks ago:
  • MLE work added to my plate. I was asked to work on another cost-effectiveness study, this time a MEASURE project pertaining to maternal health & family planning in urban areas. This program is being implemented globally, which is interesting because I've mostly dealt with single country (yet national scale) programs, in addition to it being in a completely unfamiliar in topical area.  I'm looking forward to the challenge!
  • +Oiselle featured their Spring/Summer 2014 line at NOLCHA Fashion Week!  For any running gear retailer (especially a small company that began in 2009), this is a big deal!  I tried describing it to Frank using terms that we researchers are familiar with and he aptly analogized this accomplishment to a researcher's first big presentation at PAA (or other big deal conference).  I am such a nerd for laughing even now.  I feel like I need to establish a Oiselle fund for myself to make sure I don't blow the scarce student stipend I have.  
The line is really exciting, as they're adding swim suits!  And reflecting on it, it makes sense.  How many flock pictures have I seen where lakes were used as natural ice baths?  Anyway, here are my favorites from their debut

Not sure what this beauty of a tank top is called, but I'm always looking for ways to beat the southern humidity!  The pattern is really interesting as well.
More detail in this pic.

The Mio Mesh is getting an update! I purchased its predecessor on a whim and have to agree with all the other reviews - the only regret I have with this top is that I didn't get it sooner!  It is so lightweight, versatile, and flattering that I believe it to be one of Oiselle's most brilliantly designed pieces.  I'm definitely in the market for the next generation.

Lux arm warmers, new backpack (!!), and new distance short color! First, I am looking forward to the return of the High 10 bra (depicted above). There are so many rave reviews about it, including this one in Runner's World!  I was too late in the game and have been waiting faithfully for its return... It's been quite a wait, but it will return one day soon, I hope!  Lux arm warmers - I own the lux layer and winona tops and the fabric is luxurious. Great decision to make them into arm warmers.  Distance shorts - my favorite shorts (maybe tied with the strides).  I own 3 and it's still not enough.  I hope they bring the green color back too!
One of Oiselle's greatest qualities is that they are constantly developing meaningful partnerships.  They love to collaborate with local businesses and groups that support their mission statement. I can't wait to see how it turns out with their latest collaborator, High Above!  Also: Check out Sally's blog post about NYFW.  So inspirational, it's not hard to see why I'm in love with Oiselle.

The Flyer jacket.  This is an update on their Clearly, which garnered a bit of attention, even from the non-Oiselle fan club.  It's a bit of an investment piece and I've been on the fence for awhile, but it's steadily growing on me.  I hear that it's lighter in material than the Clearly and more breathable.  The Lux Side Zip top underneath is also intriguing!  I've seen it in a teaser on Oiselle's instagram (Lauren Fleshman sporting it) here, so I can't wait to see what this number is about.  Like I said above, the lux line is terrific.


Strappy bra in Scantron. The strappy line is one of my favorites because they transform what all other retailers try to do with bras functionally into a fun little piece! Note that I'm low maintenance and have low support needs, though.  Their regular strappy is not for all women. From the reviews I've seen, the increased support charcoal strappy has worked for larger busted women.  Anyway, it isn't immediately clear in Kate's picture, but the title fits the bra. Very cute and cool.
Mac sweat testing the scantron. Hopefully you can see the detail enough to understand why the the bra is so appropriately named!  Also, her abs... Total abspiration.  
I don't know what this quilted jacket is called, but I am in love! So edgy, encompasses the run+everyday functionality that Oiselle successfully manages to balance.  The pictures don't do this justice, but I'm also curious about the newest lesley tights.  The material looks slightly different than its predecessor and they no longer have the signature lines that run up the leg and around the rear (I found it to be really flattering on many figures).  

Finally, the swimwear!  

Totally cute bikini top.  I'm loving it.  I'm not as sold on the button shorts yet, I'll have to see what others say, but the look is quite interesting overall. 

And the crowning number - the Rizzo swimsuit. It encompasses my style outside of running, completely calling out to me...  
This collection totally surprised me.  From their previous collections, I hadn't realized that Oiselle was attempting a closer stride (har har) towards fashion wear.  I saw the connection between regular day and running wear - I think that was obvious.  The quilted jacket and Rizzo swimsuit suggest that we're going to keep seeing designs that marry run+fashion wear in the future.

Thinking about the entire collection on a whole, I'm pretty excited.  I'm excited for all the innovations Oiselle will bring for female runners.  And I trust them to keep their running sense.  This movement reminds me a bit of what Stella McCartney has tried to do for Adidas. Her designs have been beautiful, but as a runner, I've found them to be impractical and problematic.  Some of her tops are too constricting for a regular runner to use; they'd keep riding up and I'd spend my runs battling my top from exposing my vulnerable, under-worked belly. I purchased a pair of capris that were pretty badass, but actually fell down on me during my runs (imagine me pulling my pants up and my top down.  Horrible!)... And some of her jacket concepts have been too complicated that I just couldn't imagine ever using them on my runs.  Anyway, all this is not to bash SM (she's a beautiful designer), but to say that I trust Oiselle to strike the right balance without sacrificing a female runner's needs.  Although I've compartmentalized my run wear from my daily wear, I'm open to change and making my wardrobe multifunctional.

Edit: Runway video.

Finally, I've been in Boston for the last week!  Zero productivity and a bit of a tough week, but good memories:
  • Running the Half Way to Mardi Gras 5k in Cambridge!  I was kind of nervous about this race because it's the first 5k I've run in several years and the nature of the beast requires you to run at a hard yet manageable pace. Given how small and scarcely resourced this race was, the runners who showed up were scrappy, hardcore, no-frills-needed local runners who came to race!  It's also a bit nerve-wracking to see several of your "competitors" sporting BAA gear, haha.  They did not seem like the type who talk the talk without the "walk".  The race was along the Charles, which I couldn't really see, but heck - I was pushing myself so I wouldn't have enjoyed the scenery even if I could see it.  Though they separated the group into two waves, the first wave was still pretty packed... With several runners racing on narrow, gravelly paths, I did my best to avoid running into people or cutting them off, but the constrained conditions led me to roll my ankle early in the race (a weakness I obtained several years ago from a really bad ankle sprain, affectionately called my "achilles ankle").  Still, I managed to push myself to beat my goal and set a PR for myself. 
    • Half Way to Mardi Gras Festival, $33.28 
      Date:
      9/12/2013
      Location:
      Cambridge, MA
      Chip Time:
      23:01
      Average time:
      7:26
      Entire Field:
      100/457
      Gender:
      18/235
      Division:
      6/97
       
    • The final push to the finish took us around a boathouse, to a narrow finish line where race organizers were recording our times and we had to submit the stubs on our bibs to get credit for our time. (I repeat: under-resourced, I have never run a race with this old school system before!)  A girl just 1 second ahead of me decided to slow down right before the finish and unfortunately, the finish area was too small for me to get around her. When I later checked my time and relayed (har har) this story to the bf, he noted that I probably could have run a sub-23 race (ARGH!) had the girl not boxed me out and slowed down at the finish.  This is why I will always tell runners to finish strong!  You might end up slowing someone else's time, or in the worst case scenario - get yelled at for doing so!  (Definitely not me, but the bf's seen it happen in person.)  
    • My review: no frills race, but the price of this race fee also included gumbo and New Orleans-ish fare + one run of the mill glass of beer.  Economically-speaking, it was worthwhile.  Not sure if I would run it again, though, given my ankle issues, but it seems like a fun local race.
  • Running along the Charles. Still my favorite running route, sigh.  I had so much fun with it that I decided to speed along despite better judgment to slow down on my long run. The ankle is not looking good after this trip...
  • Saw a bunch of people: the bf, of course; had hotpot dinner with friends at his place.  Got to see Crystal several times and Jen as well. Attended Cecilia's post-bachelorette party. Ate plenty of Asian food (yessss!), went to the BPL for high tea, and just reaffirmed my love for Boston. 
 Now time to get back to work!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment