Saturday, September 7, 2013

Goodbye, Saucony

The new haul I got from FF Carrboro today!  The reflective vest - sooooo necessary for an avid night runner like myself!  I really should have purchased this much sooner. 

Amphipod Xinglet & Brooks Ghost 6
It's with much sadness that I bid goodbye to Saucony. I was such a loyalist too - having owned an Omni, a Guide, and finding the perfect shoe in the Ride, I stuck with the Ride for 4 generations!  Last year, I learned that Saucony was moving towards a more minimalist shoe.  Why did they have to mess with something that worked so well?  The Ride 5s had a reduced heel - nearly an ounce less material - which made them more suitable for shorter distances, but not the heavy marathon training I need. I once took my Ride 5 on a 14 mile run and felt weird cramping near the balls & mid-sole of my feet and knew it was the beginning of the end.  Never again would the Ride 5 accompany me on a 10+ mile run. I thought to myself, if Saucony didn't listen to all the disappointed loyalist reviews for the next gen, I would have to move away from them altogether. After trying out the Ride 6s last Saturday, the break up was final.  I'm now a Brooks girl.  Please don't change the Ghost, Brooks!  I don't like change (in my running shoes)!

Ok, end rant.  I just saw this nice "how to" guide for buying running shoes from Runner's World.  Very helpful for beginners and even seasoned runners like myself who assume their feet don't change over time (they do!). 

Otherwise, life as a doctoral student feels pretty steady and unchanging. It's really a never ending quest to finish my dissertation - which seems to move at a turtle's pace.  Yet, my world stops for it. It feels like I'm living in slow motion. Sigh, that's what my week's been about.  Battling the non-motivation and doubts, trying to push forward. 

Some good things about today: the temperatures are getting cooler; the summer is starting to end!  This morning, I sped over to FF for our training and actually had to sport some arm warmers!  It was such a happy feeling, making waking up at 6:30 am on Saturday a thousand times more enjoyable. We had a good run today too.  I feel myself getting steadily stronger and recovering from my marathon.  My recovery has been quite remarkable and I am so grateful for it, as I expected to be hobbling for 1.5 weeks post-race.  Runner's high.  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment