Since I consulted Jerry, our Fleet Feet coach, I've made Mondays my tempo workouts and Thursdays my endurance runs. This week I had a "high" of almost 40 miles due to postponing my long run till Sunday (to try to let the snow melt).
Monday's tempo was 6x800 m @ 3:50. My actuals were between 3:27-3:40. Originally, I had been training at Yasso recommended pace (3:30), so I've been bad about consistent pacing and slowing myself down.
Tuesday was such a great group run. It's one of those nights that make you feel fast and accomplished. We ran 8x400m progression (65%-70%-hard-walk). Michael and I paced each other and were hitting 5:30-6:30 pace on our hard 100s. I think this is the one of the few times I've looked and my watch and felt so vindicated.
Thursday - the endurance run. 1 mile warm up and 1 mile cool down, 4 miles at race pace (8:15). Jerry thought my pace would be too easy for me, but it ended up being hard for 2 reasons. First, I couldn't get a consistent target pace! I kept pushing too fast (8:09), which is disastrous for race day. MUST teach myself to be consistent and AT the desired target. Second, my third mile was surprisingly and expectedly hilly in some parts. I expected a hard effort moving up Columbia, but not at Manning! Oh well.
Saturday, we had the longest run at 15 miles. I actually brought my hydration pack with me and food. This season, in addition to pushing a faster long run pace, I am experimenting with my nutrition strategy. I will not bonk at mile 20 like I did at OBX. The sweet thing about this Saturday was this:
![]() |
| My Spring14 kit came in! Words cannot describe how much I love it. |

No comments:
Post a Comment