Sunday, October 20, 2013

A month of running in photos

This morning, I got up bright and early to hitch a ride with AT and Leslie to Durham. It was the inaugural Bull City Running Festival half marathon and a good number of our Crayola & Muppet runner crew were running today!  The course had brutal, multi-mile hills that made it extremely challenging.  But my crew were so strong, still finishing around the sub-2 / 2 hour time frame.  Amazing, so proud of them.

Top row (L to R): Yeti/Sasquatch/bush man in costume; there's a convict on the loose!; Blizz, the first of our gang!
Middle: The starting line - elite athletes rush forth
Bottom: AT flying by; Shadow lives up to his spirit name; and Leslie rocks his 1st half for an amazing finish

I also got to see Muppet runners Gonzo and Camille, who after an expedited training schedule, also crossed the finish line with ease. Gonzo was the first one among our groups to finish!
+Oiselle teammate Courtney comes from DC to take on Durham!
Crayolas! Me, Blizz, Shadow, & AT

Runfinity scarf buddies! Me & +Oiselle NC teammate Ellen :)

Other memorable times in the past few weeks:

Top: Muppet runners dressing up as our muppet alter egos. Can you tell I'm a Penguin?
Bottom: L-glow run (lotsa reflective gear for visibility); R-Off to the longest training run this season (20 miles for me, oof)

18 miler from last week.  Last 2 weeks - brutal.

It's times like these where I'm reminded that I am not a true marathoner.  I might be approaching my 3rd this Nov., but the time, effort, patience, and pain that goes into these runs commands an appreciation for the process that does not come naturally for me.  I know I have at least 1-2 in me before I can finally get within striking distance of that BQ and my body's feeling pretty worn down from training intensively for the last 5 months.  It's been a long process and there's even longer to go! 

No comments:

Post a Comment