Sunday, August 4, 2013

At the edge of the taper

Counting down to the Last Chance for Beantown Marathon in a few weeks! In preparation for this night-time summer marathon, Razz and I ran a relatively flat night time 20 miler, simulating the 5ish mile loop that is to be repeated 5 times in the race (but clearly only done 4 times otherwise the math wouldn't add up)! 

Am I crazy or am I CRAZY?
 In some ways, a 5 mile loop is both genius and ridiculous.  5 miles is completely within your control - you might have a hard time keeping track of how many you've done - but you know exactly what you're getting. I've always felt a little disadvantaged with the uncertainty of racing on a course for the first time, but here you get to repeat the experience 5 times!  On the other hand, who knows how scenic this is...  When I ran the half marathon in Hyannis, MA, I discovered the full was a double loop of the half and I could not imagine a more demoralizing situation for the runners... To see all these half marathoners happily exiting, leaving you to run by your lonesome and without the benefit of blockaded traffic. Yay, you're halfway there - now you get to do the same loop AGAIN! While playing frogger with traffic!

So yeah, tonight was challenging and we didn't go as fast as I had hoped.  I don't know what the issue was, but Razz and I were both feeling the pain in our 4th lap.  I may not be perfectly ready for the marathon, but I'm certainly not out of shape.  The mortal pain in my legs and entire body, however, indicate otherwise... After we finished, I hobbled into and out of the car like a crippled grandmother.  While we were driving back, Razz and I started making wild, quasi-(un)scientific hypotheses as to why the runs have been that much more difficult than in the winter.  Was it the humidity? The heat? Combination of heat + losing electrolytes & water? Do warm temperatures do crazy things to your muscles? If anyone knows the answer, I'd love to know why I transform into an old woman after my long runs!

Final thoughts: I used to be a running group pessimist, a solo runner, the lone wolf.  Sometimes I just feel the need for speed, sometimes groups talk too much and it cramps my runner's high.  But tonight, there was nothing sweeter than thinking all of our Crayola crew had bailed on us, only to drive into the meeting ground and find two runners waiting to accompany us for a few laps!  Thank you Timberwolf & A-who-has-not-chosen-his-freedom/runner's-name-yet!  It made me so happy to have company.  :)

Looking good. Clearly, pre-20 miler. :P
 


No comments:

Post a Comment