Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Never too late to learn more about yourself

First real run with the FF program and we've been sorted into our respective pace buckets.  The whole thing was disappointing for me as I thought I could run faster and of course, we're sorted by long distance paces, which are established conservatively from our one miler time to prevent injury ...  Which means it might be hard for me to make my goal this fall.  Sigh, we'll see how it goes.  Though, side note: I know, I know it's about giving back to the community!  Just wanted to do it while working towards my potential...

This might have been painfully obvious to some, but I just realized that I am not the same runner in the summer as I am in colder temperatures.  In the NC temperatures, I am a freaking slug sliming along a bumpy surface.  Embarrassingly so, compared to what I know I'm capable of.  We did a 4 mile tempo and wow - it was so hard!  Apparently we were going at a 9:30 pace, but I struggled as if I hadn't been running since January! It was probably a combination of what I ate and the heat and humidity.  The feeling of being punched in the gut that I've continually experienced?  Well, it's probably my body's signal that I don't respond well to these training conditions.  I sweat like I'm bleeding out of a gaping wound (ok, morbidly descriptive), but the point is - I'm sure the water and electrolyte loss is affecting my performance.  Or, what else could it be?  Argh, this is really where I need some expert advice to figure out how to tackle these conditions...  Well, at least knowing is half the battle.  Must figure out a better strategy or die August 24th.

With my new group!

No comments:

Post a Comment