Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Post marathon reflection

So, I didn't make the only goal I set for myself in this race and the disappointment still lingers.  What are the lessons I've learned? 

1. Slow and steady really does win the race.  Matthew had pushed himself too hard (especially given he was undertrained!) and finished in 4:21.  Conserving my energy helped me maintain a pretty constant pace. 
2.  Sometimes, everything is as ideal as it can be (minus some cramping issues I experienced earlier in the day) and you do as much as you can - give it your all - and it still doesn't work out the way you want it to.  That's ok.  I was extremely disappointed, but I made a good effort and that's what the next race is for. 
3.  I would recommend this race for anyone looking for a close, small, end of summer race, if the loops don't drive you crazy.  Plus, the race fee is cheap ($50), if you sign up early.  The course is flat and before the darkness, there's a grassy expanse of green and some small ponds all over.  Lovely.
4.  The marathon is still very much a mental race.  This is something I must remind myself for the next one.
5.  The pain was epic immediately after the race - I was hobbling and doing my best impression of an old woman, but I remembered advice I was given not to sit down.  After walking a bit, I did lie down and prop my legs against the wall to let the lactic acids drain.  With each subsequent day, I've been taking it easy on my feet, massaging them, stretching my legs, and foam rolling.  Keeping my muscles flexible has made all the difference in recovery. 

Positive notes:
1.  Don't underestimate the power of having your support system there for you.  Even though I was alone, my friends had been texting me the day leading up and I continued to receive texts after.  I felt so loved!
2.  It's Tuesday and I'm feeling pretty good!  I have some minor muscle soreness, but the recovery has been swifter than I expected! 

No comments:

Post a Comment