Thursday, August 1, 2013

Birthday week / bird is the word!

Lots of things happening within these past 2 weeks!

First, the bad: 
  • When I got back from Accra, I discovered the heavy rains in Chapel Hill caused water to seep into my apartment.  My apartment flooded 2-3 weeks prior to my arrival back, so within that time, my apartment fostered species (mold) that had never boarded with us before.  This, I discovered through the pungent mildewy odor, right after my 15 hour commute back.  The carpet cleaners came by that same day and revealed that half of the carpet in my room was still wet, which caused me to move practically everything out of my room...  Yeah, it was the worst nightmare you could possibly face coming back from an international flight.  The nightmare continued for another week and I'm still thinking of moving out...
The "meh":
  • I turned 30 last Monday.  I don't fully comprehend this shift, as mentally, I feel about the same as I have for the past 5 years.  
The good:
  • What a birthday week!  The bf came in early on Friday and we: 
    • Checked out the legendary Tom Robinson's seafood shop, walked out with purchase of clams, scallops, filet o' salmon and then strolled over to Weaver and bought some corn and red pepper and cheese topped foccacia. 
    • Met up with Sierra, Matt, Tina, and Garima for some Friday on the Front Porch at the Carolina Inn - live music, alcohol, lawn.  What else can you need on a humid summer day?  Then, Med Deli for some lamb shank.
  • Saturday: 
    •  I ran 18 miles. 6-9 was like summitting a mountain (freaking Brookview!), which pretty much killed me mentally and physically for the rest of the run, haha, doh.
    • Headed over to Charlotte where torrential, windshield-dousing rains and crazy undeterred speeding drivers imperiled us on the way over.
    • Saw Chigozie and Danielle(y) get married!  Totally fun times.  Highlight was watching the bf get pressured to be an all-night dance partner to an adorable but diva-esque little girl, hahaha!
  • Sunday:
    • Met up with Suki and fiancée Josh for brunch!  Oh my gosh, things change so quickly.  But was so happy for her.  :)
    • Headed over to Asheville (bucket list item - check!) for a night of fun.  We just missed the Bele Cher festival (fine by me!), had tapas at the acclaimed Curaté (koo-ra-tay), walked around downtown a bit, and finished up with a movie (Pacific Rim).  

Curaté's fancy cocktails.  Gin & tonic on the left; sangria wannabe (so strong!) on the right



Veggie spread: roasted onions, red peppers, and eggplant.

I cannot resist octopus.  Sprinkled lightly with some paprika and served with side of polenta.

Curaté's version of paella which I demoted to seafoody mi-fen.  Thin noodles in seafoody ink sauce with squid and aioli sauce.
  • Monday:
    • Met up with Kasey for some lunch at Tupelo Honey.  Very savory Southern comfort food, whew!  Good though.  :)
    • Drove bf back to the airport, learned his flight was delayed so spent an extra hour with him, and then teary goodbyes.
    • Met up with Garima who bought me a birthday drink.  Good conversation with good friends is really all you need!  
  •  Wednesday:
    • Luau pub run with Blizz and Shadow.  Very fun, although so humid! 
  • Today:
    • Rosario returned back from home! I have a roommate again, yay!
    • I just received the news that I have been anxiously awaiting since June 3rd.  I am officially a sponsored athlete for my favoritest running gear company, Oiselle!  Love this company, their attitude, and running gear so much! I am absolutely elated to be a part of this community and all the good they do.  (Side note: Just created a twitter account to communicate with the community and whew!  It is overwhelming! :P)
    • Exhilarating news in an already awesome week!

No comments:

Post a Comment